Week 11-Imbali

Monday: We had one lesson today and then headed to Zone Council in Hillcrest. At zone council we discussed the vision for our zone which is "Servants of the Most High God". After that we had pizza and played some soccer, I also got to talk more with Elder Bender, likely one of the greatest missionaries of this generation. He took me to do my driving test so now I'm allowed to drive and be the designated driver. I also got a Springboks (South Africa Rugby (Kinda like football) team) hat from the mall in Hillcrest.

Tuesday: First day really trying to apply our new vision. The morning was ok, had a couple lessons, tried Kota (not a fan 🤮) but in the afternoon I sat with Elder Magot and said, "alright, we know we're here on the Lords errand, let's act like it" and started being super bold. One person we let them know that God had sent us with the keys to their salvation, and they let us in to teach a lesson. Another was about to send us away, and I told them "are you sure, I promise what we have to share is the most important thing you've ever heard, it will change your life, and you've never heard anything like it" and they let us in. Halfway through the lesson, some kids came in and I was trying to remember how to say "what is your name?" ("Ubani igama lakho") but all that was coming to mind was "Ukhuluma isingisi" ("Do you speak English"). Our new friend could tell I was struggling, so I said "No no, I've got this, I actually know a little Zulu… *ahem* sawubona (hello)"

Wednesday: Tried being more bold, stopping people on the streets and talking to them. I'm pretty sure we interrupted someone's date, they were kinda off the road sitting down talking and Elder Magot asked if we should speak with them. Since we are Servants of the Most High God, we did and gave them our number, though we were told that we were interrupting them 😅. We also spoke with a less active family and encouraged their teenage son to talk to his parents about getting the priesthood. We thought that if he had some responsibility in the church he would help his parents make it more. We got back to the boarding and our Sim card went kaput though, so that's unfortunate… hopefully it's fixed tomorrow.

Thursday: Sim Card got fixed, funny thing happened with a less active member, we were meeting with her and she asked if we could do something for her, and we were like, sure, what's up? And she asked if we could get her a Liahona. Now, for those of you who don't know, the Liahona is a church magazine. The Liahona is also a sort of compass looking thing used by Lehi and his family to cross the ocean from Jerusalem to the promised land, I will attach a picture for reference. See back in the old US of A, the Liahona magazine used to be called the Ensign, so when she asked for a Liahona, I was thinking she was asking for the latter. So I took a second to think, something along the lines of "A Liahona? Does she want a Urim and Thummim while I'm at it?" I started explaining that the Liahona could be seen as a metaphor for the Holy Ghost, giving spiritual guidance as long as you are keeping the commandments. As I'm explaining, she's looking really confused, and Elder Magot leans over and tells me "I think she wants a magazine" 🤦🏼 

Friday: Not a super eventful day, but we did put some kids from the branch on date for December to get baptized, I also taught Elder Magot how to play Ninja. We also went to the fast food place where we got Kota from on Tuesday and I just got chips instead, way better.

Saturday: Saturday+End of Month+Rugby World Cup=A lot of people partying. I baked cookies for Institute, which was canceled 😞. We also got things ready for Amahles baptism the next day, including printing the program and filling the font. It also started pouring down rain that evening, which isn't great because Africans don't go to church when it rains…

Sunday: The rain kept going in the morning, but luckily let up around 8:00. Amahles baptism went great, I even got to put my cookies to use. We also met with Brother Khumalo that evening, he's a return missionary and used to be the branch president. He's amazing to talk to, and you can see how blessed he's been since staying in the church after his mission. He makes me want to go home after mission and be a good RM for the ward.

That's all for this week, sala kahle everyone!

The Imbali district on the way to Zone Council
(Me in a Rugby hat, go Bokkes!)
Me and Elder Magot suffering on the walk up a hill
Kota 🤮 (The Coke came in a glass bottle though, super cool)
Amahle's Baptism!
Aforementioned Liahona from the Book of Mormon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MTC Week 2

Week 5- Africa

Week 12-Imbali